The National Association of Funeral Directors embraces its responsibility to people and to the environment. The management of the trade association will act responsibly and provide clear leadership at all times.
In order to lead by example in sustainability and environmental good practice, the NAFD will take a systematic approach to the environmental management of their day-to-day activities, and will encourage and support members of the trade association towards the use of sustainable materials and solutions.
Environmental policy statement
The NAFD provides a wide range of general business services, as well as specific funeral industry support services to help funeral director members meet the needs of the bereaved. It is committed to integrating sustainability and environmental best practice into all its activities.
Key areas where National Association of Funeral Directors attention can be focused are:
- Procurement of goods including the selection of materials, suppliers and services.
- Minimisation of general waste including recycling, reclaiming and the reduction of office waste.
- Efficient use of energy and transportation.
- Raising environmental awareness of staff, membership, suppliers and stakeholders.
To achieve these objectives, we will:
- Adopt best practice and assist, where possible, in developing innovative solutions to the environmental issues facing the funeral industry.
- Recognise compliance with relevant environmental legislation as a minimum level of performance.
- Encourage awareness of, and commitment to, improved environmental performance amongst staff, membership, suppliers and stakeholders.
- Raise awareness and promote ethical and fair trade practices.
- Minimise travel and transportation.
- Promote recycling/re-using of resources and minimise the amount of waste produced by the NAFD by means of effective waste management procedures.
- Dispose of unavoidable waste in such a way as to have minimum impact on the environment.
- Wherever possible use electronic communication to minimise the use of paper and printing. When necessary use paper from sustainable forests and environmentally friendly inks and printing processes.
- Cut the amount of energy consumed by using energy-saving measures.
- Wherever practicable, use products from proven sustainable sources, products made from recycled materials or designed to be easy to re-use or recycle.
- Participate in discussions about environmental issues in the funeral industry sector. Responsibility for environmental policy rests with the NAFD Chief Executive Officer